Call for Connections Programming for GeekGirlCon ‘14
Last year, GeekGirlCon added a new department called Connections focused on leadership development, mentorship, and connecting women with professionals in their desired career fields. The Connections program was such a hit (read more from last year here and here), we’re bringing it back for GeekGirlCon ‘14.
In addition to featuring a Connections Room at the convention—where attendees can interact with companies, universities, and nonprofit organizations—we plan to dedicate a programming room for Connections-specific panels, networking sessions, and workshops. This Connections Programming Room will allow for more intimate conversations with attendees and panelists. And we need your help to make this happen!
Connections Programming at GeekGirlCon ‘14
We are looking for professionals in geeky industries, the arts, and academia, as well as female entrepreneurs. We hope to promote, celebrate, educate, mentor, and encourage women professionally. We are seeking engaging proposals from professionals for panels on topics such as, but not limited to:
- Career-focused sessions: how to pitch, negotiate, interview; where to train; how to find a mentor; etc.
- Panels straight from the source: featuring women working in specific career fields, including women in science, math, engineering, and technology (STEM); women entrepreneurs; women writers and publishers; career crafters and artists; etc.
- Leadership development panels and workshops: sessions focused on building leadership skills to help women succeed in education and their careers
- Diversity and representation: career discussions with a focus on race, ethnicity, class, gender, ability, sex, and sexuality
- Portfolio reviews: Opportunities for professionals to sit down with attendees to review writing samples, artwork, and comic book ideas
Feel free to propose something we didn’t think of!
To be considered for acceptance, proposal submissions must reflect the mission of the convention: to promote, celebrate, educate, mentor, encourage, and empower the female professional. GeekGirlCon is committed to representing women of all ages, races, sexual orientations, gender identities, creeds, physical and mental abilities, and familial statuses. Proposals must reflect a commitment to this as well.
Please note: this call for Connections programming is specifically focused on career and leadership development panels. Our broader programming submission deadline has passed.
Submissions are open until 11:59pm PT on July 25.
If you are interested in proposing a panel or presentation please fill out this form.