GeekGirlCon’s 2nd Annual Masquerade!
Visit GeekGirlCon at The Conference Center August 11th 5:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. in Room 303.
It’s your time to shine in all your geek finery at the GeekGirlCon ‘12 Masquerade hosted by GeekGirlCon’s Julia Santo and Tara, The Geeky Hostess!
Competition is open to everyone–all ages, experience levels, and fandoms. Entrants will vie for Best Individual Costume, Best Group, and Best Child’s Costume.
There will also be a new non-competitive Kids’ Cosplay event from 5:00 p.m. to 5:20 p.m. – bring your costumed young ones to the Masquerade for a chance to show off their nerdiness and get a prize!
Check the registration info online, or the con Info Booth for GeekGirlCon cosplay guidelines, a detailed schedule of the masquerade fun, and the age ranges for the Kids’ Cosplay
- Sign up online (form below!) The deadline to submit this form is midnight, Thursday, August 9. (You can also sign-up in person at the con until 3:00 p.m. Saturday, August 11.)
- Visit the Information Booth on Saturday and fill out your entry forms before 2:00 p.m.
- Be outside Room 303 by 4:30 to be lined up for your onstage appearance!
No costume? No problem! What’s a masquerade without an audience? Come cheer for your favorites.
Official Masquerade Rules
- Preference will be given for homemade, original, and self-constructed costumes.
- Mass-produced or commercial (rented or purchased) costumes should show significant modification from the original form.
- Credit is given for makeup and costume construction.
- Costumes may contain elements that are purchased (e.g. prop weapon), but should be predominantly original creations.
- Costumes should conform to GeekGirlCon’s Cosplay Guidelines. Additionally, the Masquerade has the following restrictions:
- No pyrotechnics, fog machines, or other such devices are allowed.
- No live firearms, no live explosions, or fire.
- Handle realistic-looking firearms with care. Any weapon play must be pre-approved.
- No messy substances permitted-wet, dry or oily- that might ruin another’s costume or make the stage dangerous.
- No jumping off of or throwing things off the stage or to the judges.
- There is a maximum of one minute time limit on all presentations, but there is no minimum. Leave ‘em wanting more.
- No microphones or AV equipment will be provided for presentations.
- Presentations will consist of entrants walking on to the stage, performing a short action (or you can just stand there) to highlight the costume, and then exiting the stage.
- All contestants must agree to the Liability Release (see below or at the Info Booth when you sign up).
- I have read and understood the rules of this masquerade costume contest as set forth in the instructions and agree to abide by them.
- I agree to allow GeekGirlCon, its agents, licensees or assignees, the right to use my/our image and/or likeness by media for advertising and/or other promotional purposes.
- I agree to hold GeekGirlCon, its organizers, and the facility blameless for any accident and/or injury suffered by me during the course of the Masquerade.
- I agree to indemnify, defend, and hold harmless GeekGirlCon from any and all damages, losses, claims, liabilities, charges, suits, penalties, costs and/or expenses, including but not limited to court costs, attorneys’ fees and expenses, resulting from any act (whether intentional or not), omission or negligence of any injury to myself.