At our two-day convention in October, GeekGirlCon sets up an inclusive environment in the heart of downtown Seattle to celebrate every geek and honor the legacy of women contributing to science and technology; comics, arts, and literature; game play and game design; and beyond.
If you’ve never been to GeekGirlCon—or perhaps you’re still reveling from last year’s fun and curious about what’s to come—take a look below at what you can expect.
|Friday, October 7|
|Saturday, October 8||Sunday, October 9|
Check out our convention floor maps to scope out the lay of the land before you arrive.
We want to make GeekGirlCon a super-cool experience filled with excitement, education, and fun for all. We strive to create an event that works for all our attendees. We think inclusively about the range of needs, employ best practices to continually review our spaces, improve as we are able, and learn from our mistakes. Read about some of the features and resources available at GeekGirlCon to make a comfortable space for everyone.
Each year our panel content is a mix of community-organized submissions and staff-curated content, including content featuring industry guests.
This year, we are looking forward to a wide variety of fresh, engaging programming (and more than ever before, thanks to our expansion)! Topics will include Star Wars: The Force Awakens, depictions of disease in video games, and building positive + inclusive nerd communities.
Here’s just a few of our panels at GeekGirlCon 2016:
Breaking the Bamboo: Representation of Asians in Film, TV, & Gaming [Saturday, 12:30 p.m. – RM Tahoma 5 – Storm]
Ripley Loves Furiosa: Women Kicking Butt in Action, Sci-fi, & Horror [Saturday, 4 p.m. – RM Tahoma 5 – Storm]
Queering the Apocalypse [Saturday, 7:30 p.m. – RM Chelan 4 – Furiosa]
Star Trek at 50: Keeping the Franchise Relevant [Sunday, 12 p.m. – RM Tahoma 5 – Storm]
History Has Its Eyes On Hamilton: The Musical, The History, & The Impact [Sunday, 12:15 RM Tahoma 3/5 – Garnet]
- Opening Night Party: Kick off the GeekGirlCon weekend with a party at the Hard Rock Cafe on Friday, October 7 starting at 7pm. Mingle with fellow attendees, contributors, volunteers, and staff, participate in a Pokémon Go contest, and rock out to performances by Whitney Mongé and SAMMUS. Pick up your passes early or buy last-minute passes. Event is free and open to the public (21+).
- David Bowie Sing-Along: Celebrate the legacy of cultural icon David Bowie with his greatest vintage music videos and performances on Saturday from 7:30 to 8:30pm in Room Tahoma 3/4 – Garnet. From Space Oddity to Let’s Dance and from Ziggy Stardust to Jareth the Goblin King—we’ve got a full hour of your favorite Bowie moments from the ’70s and ’80s, subtitled and ready for you to sing along. Costumes and uncontrollable dancing encouraged! Curated by Clinton McClung and Hosted by Rebecca M Davis from The Stay Up Late show.
- Closing Celebration: Close out GeekGirlCon ’16 with Jet City Improv on Sunday at 6pm in Room Tahoma 3/4 – Garnet. Jet City Improv was founded in 1992 as Seattle’s own improvised comedy show: more games, more comedy, no points or rules. This non-profit’s mission statement is to educate, enlighten, and entertain audiences through the art of improv, all while remaining witty, timely, and family friendly. Come watch some of JCI’s top female improvisers perform a special set just for the GeekGirlCon Closing Celebration! Following the performance, enjoy a free-wheeling and honest moderated conversation about what it takes to be a woman in the comedy industry, and celebrate GeekGirlCon’s sixth year with laughter!
Several of our featured contributors and panelists will be available to sign books and other materials at no extra cost in the signing area on Level 3.
A walk through GeekGirlCon’s Exhibitor Hall, you will find vendors with collectibles, comics, geek wear, prints, and so much more. In years’ past vendors showed off their custom-made TARDIS clocks, Lego earrings, glowing cat ears, LARPing gear, wands … we could go on.
This year we are expecting it to be better than ever! Our exhibitors for GeekGirlCon ’16 have been announced on the blog.
Every year, the gaming team puts together an entire floor of wonder—working hard in meeting the high standards set in previous years to bring the joy and discovery of storytelling, role-playing, worldbuilding, painting, strategizing, and exploration.
This year gaming is expanding their turf, offering even more all-hours gaming. Look for some fan favorites to return in 2016 such as industry-hosted tabletop games, RPGs hosted by game master Andy, a wide variety of console gaming, and a full schedule of workshops PLUS more unannounced projects.
BTW: If you need a break, find a quiet corner or pop up to Introvert Alley on Level 1 where you can just sit. And not talk.
DIY Science Zone
Visit the DIY Science Zone on Level 1, where our highly-trained team of scientists and science educators will guide you through a selection of fun experiments and answer all your questions about their scientific specialty.
Thanks to all our DIY Science Zone donors that make doing experiments at GeekGirlCon possible! Consider supporting all of the hands-on science we have planned for this year.
The Connections area at GeekGirlCon exists in order to create a space for like-minded community organizations, leaders, and producers to share their experience and work within our community. It is focused on leadership development, mentorship, and connecting women with professionals in their desired career fields.
GeekGirlCon is the place to shine in your geek finest. You’ll be able to join in our annual cosplay contest open to everyone – all ages, experience levels, and fandoms on Saturday at 4pm in the Garnet room. Sign up to participate by Saturday, Oct. 8 at 11am!
In need of repair at con? We got you. The Cosplay Repair Station will be available on Level 3 from 10am–5pm on Saturday and 10am–4pm on Sunday.
And if you need some revolutionary hair styling to enhance your amazing look, why not let visionaries at VAIN give you a hairstyle to match your inner awesomeness? If you can dream it, they can help you achieve it. You can find them Saturday and Sunday on Level 2 near the escalators from 10am to 4pm.
Don’t forget to get your picture taken by our fabulous photographers at our photobooth on Level 3! All photos will be available on the GeekGirlCon Flickr page after the con!
Find your scavenger hunt entry card on page 4 of your program guide. Collect stamps as you make your way through GeekGirlCon. Each stamp earns you 1 entry to win a fantastic exhibitor prize pack. The more stamps, the better your chances of winning! Collect all 6 stamps and receive an exclusive GeekGirlCon pin. Plus as a special bonus, fill out the GeekGirlCon survey for an additional pin.
Turn in your scavenger hunt cards at registration located on Level 1 – Yakima. If you’ve completed “Say Cheese!” please have post available for verification by a GGC agent. Daily drawings will be held at registration Saturday at 6pm and Sunday at 5pm. Winners must be present to claim their prize.
- Learn: Attend a panel discussion. See the panel room agent for your stamp.
- Play: Check out a board game on the gaming floor (Lower Level Skagit)
- Experiment: Try an experiment at the DIY Science Zone (Level 1 Yakima)
- Say Cheese!: Show us a selfie tagged @geekgirlcon
- Explore: Play an indie game in the exhibitor hall (Lower Level Skagit)
- Give us your feedback: Complete the con survey (Level 1 Yakima)
These are just a few things you’ll see at GeekGirlCon. Check out our past conventions for program guides and information from years past. We will be making specific announcements about programming and events as we lead up to the con! So stay tuned. If you’ve been to our con, we’d love to hear about your experience! Join the conversation about GeekGirlCon on Facebook and Twitter.