Code of Conduct
The following will be considered harassment: physical or verbal threats; unwelcome attention; stalking; pushing, shoving, or use of physical force; behavior that creates a disturbance or is dangerous, including lewd or generally offensive behavior or language; using sexually explicit or offensive language or conduct; excessive profanity; obscene gestures; use of racial, religious, sexual, gender, ability, or ethnic slurs.
If a person tells you “no,” your business with them is done. If you continue to attempt to have contact with that person, you may be removed from the premises for the remainder of the event.
- “No” means no.
- “Stop” means stop.
- “Go away” means go away.
- Attire is not consent.
Reporting Harassment or Conduct Violations
We have taken steps to make it easier to report instances of offensive and/or harassing behavior. It is very important that if you are being harassed or are in any way endangered, you report it immediately. We cannot address anything that we are not made aware of and we need whatever detail can be provided, such as names, badge numbers, or other descriptive information.
If you experience or witness harassment or threatening behavior, please find the nearest GeekGirlCon Agent. All GeekGirlCon Agents can be identified via their GeekGirlCon Agent Shirt. You may also go to the information booth on the 1st floor to report an incident. They will connect you with the GeekGirlCon Reaction team. If, at any time, you feel that your personal safety or the safety of others is in jeopardy, please contact the Seattle Police Department in an emergency via 911 (or 9911 from a marked Conference Center phone).
As an attendee, if you witness harassment, threatening behavior, or other inappropriate conduct, we encourage you to speak up and say something. We want to come together as a community, look out for one another, and ensure everyone is treated with respect.
General Con Policies
- GeekGirlCon is not responsible for lost, stolen, or damaged property, or for injuries sustained during the course of the convention.
- You must wear your valid GeekGirlCon badge at all times to be admitted to the con or events during con weekend.
- We reserve the right to ask you to leave the convention or events if you are acting outside the code of conduct.
- Please keep in mind that GeekGirlCon is an all-ages event. We strive to maintain a friendly and welcoming atmosphere for children and adults.
- If you are taking photographs of attendees, please respect those that do not wish to be photographed or recorded by asking permission to take pictures and avoiding anyone with a “do not photograph” sticker. Always request
- Have fun, be safe, and be respectful. LLAP.
Consequences of Code of Conduct Violation
GeekGirlCon reserves the right to revoke convention passes and attendance at events. If an individual is in violation of the Code of Conduct during an event, they may be barred from the event for an explicit amount of time or the duration of the event. If an individual breaks the law – city, state or federal – they will be arrested.
- No real firearms. Period.
- With regards to swords/daggers/etc, if they’re sharp or pointy enough to cut or pierce someone with moderate pressure (even if they’re not made of metal), they will not be allowed.
- Any replica weapons must be clearly identifiable as fake from at least 10 feet away. If your fake rifle looks somewhat vaguely real, add an orange safety tip.
- Solid props such as staves which are weighty enough to bludgeon someone with a moderate force swing will not be allowed.
- Functional fake projectile weapons (think Nerf and Airsoft guns) must be disabled and unloaded.
- All weapons will be peace bonded either while you wait in the registration line or at the information booth. We will add a ziptie that identifies your weapon to staff and attendees as safe and approved.
- Aiming, brandishing, pointing, etc, any and all weapons at other attendees is not acceptable. You may mean it in fun, but your fun isn’t worth the alarm you will cause everyone else. In the case of minor issues, weapons will be held at the info booth until the end of the day. In the event of severe infractions, attendees may be asked to leave.