GeekGirlCon 2014 Annual Costume Contest!
It’s your time to shine in all your geek finery at the GeekGirlCon ‘14 Costume Contest hosted by Jina D!
Born and raised as a gamer girl in Washington; Jina adventured out for 4 years – spending 2 in Hawaii and 2 in Australia. She started modeling while living in Australia (2009) and has since worked with dozens of photographers, designers and MUAs. Jina started cosplaying in early 2011. She loves doing characters that are often overlooked from video games, anime and books that are dear to her geeky heart. She also really loves putting together OCs and enjoys working closely with other local artists to bring her visions to life.
Saturday, October 11 5:00 p.m. – 6:30 p.m. in Room 303
Competition is open to everyone – all ages, experience levels, and fandoms. Entrants will vie for Best Individual Costume, Best Group, and Best Child’s Costume.
There will also be a new non-competitive Junior Cosplay event from 5:00 p.m. to 5:20 p.m. – bring your costumed young ones to the Costume Contest for a chance to show off their nerdiness and get a prize.
- Sign Up Online The deadline to submit the online form is midnight, Thursday, October 9. (You can also sign-up in person at the con until 3:00 p.m. Saturday, October 11.)
- Visit the Information Booth on Saturday and fill out your entry forms before 3:00 p.m.
- Be outside Room 303 by 4:30 p.m. to be lined up for your onstage appearance!
No costume? No problem! What’s a contest without an audience? Come cheer for your favorites.
Official Costume Contest Rules
- Preference will be given for homemade, original, and self-constructed costumes.
- Mass-produced or commercial (rented or purchased) costumes should show significant modification from the original form.
- Credit is given for makeup and costume construction.
- Costumes may contain elements that are purchased (e.g. prop weapon), but should be predominantly original creations.
- Cosplay should conform to GeekGirlCon’s Cosplay Weapons Rules.
Additionally, the Costume Contest has the following restrictions:
- No pyrotechnics, fog machines, or other such devices are allowed.
- No live firearms, no live explosions, or fire.
- Handle realistic-looking firearms with care. Any weapon-play must be pre-approved.
- No messy substances permitted – wet, dry or oily – that might ruin another’s costume or make the stage dangerous.
- No jumping off of or throwing things off the stage or to the judges.
- There is a maximum of one minute time limit on all presentations, but there is no minimum. Leave ‘em wanting more.
- No microphones or AV equipment will be provided for presentations.
- Presentations will consist of entrants walking on to the stage, performing a short action sequence (or you can pose motionless) to highlight the costume, then exiting the stage.
- All contestants must agree to the Liability Release (see below or at the Info Booth when you sign up).
- I have read and understood the rules of this costume costume contest as set forth in the instructions and agree to abide by them.
- I agree to allow GeekGirlCon, its agents, licensees or assignees, the right to use my/our image and/or likeness by media for advertising and/or other promotional purpose
- I agree to hold GeekGirlCon, its organizers, and the facility blameless for any accident and/or injury suffered by me during the course of the Costume Contest.
- I agree to indemnify, defend, and hold harmless GeekGirlCon from any and all damages, losses, claims, liabilities, charges, suits, penalties, costs and/or expenses, including but not limited to court costs, attorneys’ fees and expenses, resulting from any act (whether intentional or not), omission or negligence of any injury to myself.