#GeekGirlTalk: We Want to Hear from You!
Who We Are Vaguely and in Terms Only of the Media We Seek Out Most Often:
Teal (roman type!)
Literally any teen TV show, YA, women’s and feminist media, everything Star Trek
Hanna (italics, baby!)
Reality TV, memoirs, romance novels, anything British, any podcast ever
Welcome to #GeekGirlTalk, a (biased, subjective, opinionated) conversation about the pop culture we’re currently loving, hating, and obsessing over.
This month–this dark, dark month–Hanna and I are coming to you with a request: We need guest co-writers for this series!
The goal of #GeekGirlTalk, from the beginning, has been to carve out some digital space for this community to really talk about the media we’re thinking about. For the past year(ish), Hanna and I have been facilitating the conversation via these blog posts, but now it’s time to grow. Not only has this been our plan from the beginning, but given everything that’s going on right now, we think this could be a really great opportunity to lean into the community we’ve built here at GeekGirlCon and get to know some of you better.
So, to start, we thought we’d pitch y’all some of the ideas we’ve had (AKA things one of us desperately wants to talk about that the other has little to no interest in). If you’re up to chatting with us about any of these, hit us up at firstname.lastname@example.org or @TealChristensen or @HuppTwoThree. Or (and this is maybe even more exciting!), if you have ideas that aren’t listed here, please still write me and suggest them. As we’re all slowing down and turning inward, let’s look to each other and to spaces like GeekGirlCon to ensure that the distance remains only physical.
Anyway, here’s a non-exhaustive list of everything I’d love to talk with you about:
- Picard. That ending!!!!!!!!!
- Alternatively, Discovery and/or any other Star Trek series.
- Grey’s Anatomy, post-Derek’s death. Does Mer really need a new bf? Why is everyone pregnant??
- Outlander. Am I the only one who feels like these new seasons really aren’t holding up?
- Reading YA as an adult (Hanna, obviously I would love to talk about this with you, it’s just also the only thing I think about apparently!)
And here’s a list of everything I’d love to talk about:
- The new Netflix show Feel Good. Queerness, addiction, family, friendship–I NEED to discuss!
- Reality TV fandom. A side of fandom that we don’t often explore. Bravo nerds, get at me!
- Astrology. Any Chani Nicholas followers out there?
- Getting into gaming as a non-gamer. Places to start? Must-play games for newbies? Steam?! Help this wannabe-gamer out!
- Cooking! Who else loves Bon Appetit’s YouTube channel, obsessively follows Natasha Pickowicz, and listens to every episode of CherryBombe?