Copywriter [Volunteer Position]
Mission of GeekGirlCon
GeekGirlCon celebrates and honors the legacy of women contributing to science and technology; comics, arts, and literature; and game play and game design by connecting geeky women worldwide and creating community to foster continued growth of women in geek culture through events. GeekGirlCon values being a Welcoming Community, Empowerment, Diversity and Inclusion.
Manager of Editorial Services
Positions Reporting To This One
GeekGirlCon seeks a creative person passionate about writing and communication. You love being geeky, but have the ability to flex outside your given knowledge. You have excellent writing skills and love articulating about various areas of geekdom. You know how to get an audience excited about what GeekGirlCon is doing.
- Provides marketing copy for events, website, auctions, program book, and more.
- Assists other departments with copywriting and copyediting for their public-facing projects.
- Follows branding guidelines, strategic goals and marketing strategic directives.
- Can contribute compelling blog content aligning with the GeekGirlCon mission and subject areas.
- Understands and can evaluate different copy needs for different projects (e.g., a flier versus a Tweet).
- Has an excellent command of the English language and grammar.
- Can provide a creative and unique voice to GeekGirlCon.
- Can follow up and be a pain-in-the-butt in order to get all the data needed for a project.
- Is an independent, effective, and timely worker.
- Handles feedback well and can work cohesively with other members of the copy team and GeekGirlCon organization.
- Degree in/extreme passion for and experience in one or more of the following areas: English, Creative Writing, Communications, and/or Journalism.
- Must possess a love of writing and being creative, while being a clear and effective communicator.
- Ability to manage multiple projects at once, set goals, and prioritize tasks.
- Has a commitment to diversity, inclusion and intersectionality in the representation of women and girls in GeekGirlCon program areas including (but not limited to) science, technology, engineering & coding, pop culture, science fiction & fantasy, comics, etc.
- Awareness of current trends and activities in geek culture.
- Ability to research unfamiliar geeky topics.
- Knowledge of basic HTML (bolding, italics, etc); experience with WordPress is a bonus.
What It Means to Volunteer as GeekGirlCon Staff
- GeekGirlCon staff positions are all volunteer, non-paid positions.
- Attendance in-person or remotely for staff and departmental meetings is required.
- Must maintain prompt and professional correspondence.
- Most work is conducted over email and with in-person meetings in the Seattle area.
- Between 3-5 hours per week of work is required for this role (including meetings, etc).
- The staff is a team of highly dedicated, geeky, and passionate volunteers; it’s a lot of hard work, but an amazing experience with lots of opportunity to help build GeekGirlCon for the future!