Director of Finance [Volunteer Position]
Mission of GeekGirlCon
GeekGirlCon celebrates and honors the legacy of women contributing to science and technology; comics, arts, and literature; and game play and game design by connecting geeky women worldwide and creating community to foster continued growth of women in geek culture through events. GeekGirlCon values being a Welcoming Community, Empowerment, Diversity and Inclusion.
Positions Reporting To This One
Accounting Manager, Bookkeeper
The Finance Director oversees the Finance Department and helps and creates organizational and program budgets in collaboration with the Executive Director and departmental directors.
Working with the management team, the position also contributes to the development and implementation of organizational strategies, policies, and practices.
- Oversee cash flow management and controls.
- Ensure all financial operations comply with federal and state laws
- Develop and monitor organizational budgets in collaboration with departmental directors.
- Maintain transparency with quarterly and annual financial statements to directors and board of directors regarding organizational budget expenses and revenue sources; manage budget to actual reporting at department level.
- Disburse checks for agency expenses.
- Organize fiscal documents with Bookkeeper; perform purchase order processing and manage documentation retention for expenses.
- Attend regular meetings with the Executive Director or the Board Financial Committee around fiscal planning.
- Ensure that Accounting Department requests are resolved and communicated in a timely manner to internal and external parties.
- Prepare annual audit and be a liaison with all outside vendors.
- Support annual Form 990 tax filing in collaboration with the Executive Director.
- Supervise the accounting department to ensure smooth day-to-day transactions.
- At least 3 years in financial management.
- Knowledge of tax and other compliance requirements non-profit corporations (501c3 status).
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a collaborative management style.
- Maintains discretion and professionalism when dealing with sensitive and confidential information and/or material.
- Ability to respond to matters requiring urgent action and make decisions in alignment with severity, sensitivity, and GeekGirlCon values.
- Experience working with a nonprofit or volunteer organization.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills including records management, procurement, and budgeting.
- Ability to delegate and follow up.
- Proficient knowledge of Quickbooks Online. Excel, Word, WordPress, Google Drive, and Adobe Acrobat/Reader.
- Project manager experience.
What It Means to Volunteer as GeekGirlCon Staff
- GeekGirlCon staff positions are all volunteer, non-paid positions.
- Attendance in-person or remotely for staff and departmental meetings is required.
- Must maintain prompt and professional correspondence.
- Most work is conducted over email and with in-person meetings in the Seattle area.
- Between 10-15 hours per week of work is required for this role (including meetings, etc).
- The staff is a team of highly dedicated, geeky, and passionate volunteers; it’s a lot of hard work, but an amazing experience with lots of opportunity to help build GeekGirlCon for the future!