Director of Panel & Stage Programming [Volunteer Position]
Mission of GeekGirlCon
GeekGirlCon celebrates and honors the legacy of women contributing to science and technology; comics, arts, and literature; and game play and game design by connecting geeky women worldwide and creating community to foster continued growth of women in geek culture through events. GeekGirlCon values being a Welcoming Community, Empowerment, Diversity and Inclusion.
Positions Reporting To This One
Programming Assistant, Panel Program Manager, Special Events Manager, Art Talent Coordinators
The Director of Programming oversees the Panel and Special Events teams of GeekGirlCon. They ensure GeekGirlCon’s continued panel and stage programming efforts for the annual convention. This Director of Programming ensures that all events and programs meet GeekGirlCon’s mission statement and goals.
- With the Director of Interactive Programming, co-directs the Programming Department;
- Oversees and manages the Panel and Special Events teams to ensure all team members are able to complete tasks and meet deadlines. Provides additional assistance and resources when necessary;
- Manages the Art Talent coordinators and the featured contributors program, providing contract and guest appearance logistics support;
- Works with team managers to create and implement an annual budget;
- With the Director of Interactive Programming, runs Programming Department meetings;
- Sparks communication between the teams and keeps everyone on track towards a common goal;
- Conducts yearly reviews of all staff within the Staged Programming Sub-Department;
- Responsible for overseeing team growth, including new hires and position changes;
- Serve as part of GeekGirlCon’s executive team in making sure that day-to-day goals are being met and long-term plans/visions put in place by the Board are continued;
- With the Director of Interactive Programming, develops strategic plan for cohesive programming that take into account GeekGirlCon’s mission, short-term and long-term goals, and the abilities of the team to execute programming ideas;
- Makes contacts and build relationships in “geeky” and event-relevant community to improve programming and event objectives. Connects other staffers with those contacts for execution of projects.
- Experience running a team;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Ability to delegate and follow-up;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a collaborative management style;
- Competence with Google Suite tools;
- Experience in creating and tracking budgets;
- Maintains discretion and professionalism when dealing with sensitive and confidential information and/or material.
- Competence with Basecamp;
- Event coordination and management skills/experience;
- Project/Program management experience.
What It Means to Volunteer as GeekGirlCon Staff
- GeekGirlCon staff positions are all volunteer, non-paid positions.
- Attendance in-person or remotely for staff and departmental meetings is required.
- Must maintain prompt and professional correspondence.
- Most work is conducted over email and with in-person meetings in the Seattle area.
- 15-20 hours per week of work is required for this role (including meetings, etc).
- The staff is a team of highly dedicated, geeky, and passionate volunteers; it’s a lot of hard work, but an amazing experience with lots of opportunity to help build GeekGirlCon for the future!