Individual Sponsorships Coordinator [Volunteer Position]
Mission of GeekGirlCon
GeekGirlCon celebrates and honors the legacy of women contributing to science and technology; comics, arts, and literature; and game play and game design by connecting geeky women worldwide and creating community to foster continued growth of women in geek culture through events. GeekGirlCon values being a Welcoming Community, Empowerment, Diversity and Inclusion.
GeekGirlCon’s Individual Sponsorships Coordinator is in charge of acquiring and retaining individual sponsors for the organization, as well as organizing and maintaining details of individual donations. This individual needs to be enthusiastic and passionate for GeekGirlCon’s mission. Not only do they have to be self motivated, they also need to motivate others. This position requires excellent communication skills, a keen eye for detail, and a creative drive for thinking up new fundraising opportunities and cultivating support.
- Oversees GeekGirlCon’s Individual Sponsorship program.
- Assists Sponsorship Manager in setting annual fundraising goals; tracks progress towards goal and provides monthly reports.
- Works with the Sponsorship Manager to develop strategies for individual fundraising from cultivation to securing of gifts and follow-up; plans for sponsorship marketing needs in collaboration with Marketing.
- Facilitates all gift processing, receipting and donor acknowledgements while maintaining accurate and complete donor records in database; issues annual tax receipts.
- Creates sustainable stewardship practices with an eye for both immediate and long term needs.
- Ensures appropriate sponsorship benefits are fulfilled, including but not limited to: convention and event passes, merchandise, meet and greets, program listings, signage and other recognition.
- Works with Registration, Special Events, Web, Copy, and Design teams for completing tasks.
- Reviews and updates sponsorship tiers as needed to encourage generous giving.
- Serves as staff liaison for board fundraising committee; attends meetings and advises members on giving opportunities.
- Works with Director of Internal Operations and Sponsorship Manager to set annual departmental sub-budget; review expenses and update spending needs yearly.
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills. Able to write clear, concise and compelling communication.
- Experience in communicating business and marketing objectives to individuals in order to establish and maintain support and enthusiasm.
- Minimum of 1 year of experience in individual giving.
- Self-motivated and able to operate with little direction.
What It Means to Volunteer as GeekGirlCon Staff
- Minimum commitment of one convention cycles to this volunteer position.
- GeekGirlCon staff positions are all volunteer, non-paid positions.
- Attendance in-person or remotely for staff and departmental meetings is required.
- Must maintain prompt and professional correspondence.
- Most work is conducted over email and with in-person meetings in the Seattle area.
- 5 hours per week of work is required for this role (including meetings, etc).
- Must be present at convention as development representative to individual sponsors.
- The staff is a team of highly dedicated, geeky, and passionate volunteers; it’s a lot of hard work, but an amazing experience with lots of opportunity to help build GeekGirlCon for the future!