Merchandise Assistant [Volunteer Position]
Mission of GeekGirlCon
GeekGirlCon celebrates and honors the legacy of women contributing to science and technology; comics, arts, and literature; and game play and game design by connecting geeky women worldwide and creating community to foster continued growth of women in geek culture through events. GeekGirlCon values being a Welcoming Community, Empowerment, Diversity and Inclusion.
The Merchandise Assistant supports the Merchandise Manager in ensuring GeekGirlCon customers have a diverse selection of GeekGirlCon branded merchandise available for sale at the Convention, at events, and in our online store. They act as the custodian and retailer of all GeekGirlCon merchandise.
- Assists Merchandise Manager in inventory management.
- Manages online store for GeekGirlCon logoed merchandise.
- Sets up and assists in the management of the merchandise table at GeekGirlCon-related events throughout the year.
- Is a part of GeekGirlCon’s merchandise team at our annual Convention, including the management and training of merchandise booth agents.
- Receives and ships online orders.
- Attention to detail and an eye for quality.
- Ability to manage projects unassisted.
- Knowledge of MS Excel and Word. Familiarity with Google docs a plus.
- Outstanding communication skills.
- High degree of flexibility and initiative.
- 1+ years of retail experience.
- Able to attend monthly meetings either in-person or remotely year round.
- Willing to commit to staying on staff through two Conventions.
What It Means to Volunteer as GeekGirlCon Staff
- GeekGirlCon staff positions are all volunteer, non-paid positions.
- Attendance in-person or remotely for staff and departmental meetings is required.
- Most work is conducted over email and with in-person meetings in the Seattle area.
- Between 5-7 hours per week of work is required for this role (including meetings, etc).
- Commit to working 2 convention cycles.
- The staff is a team of highly dedicated, geeky, and passionate volunteers; it’s a lot of hard work, but an amazing experience with lots of opportunity to help build GeekGirlCon for the future!