Panel Coordinator [Volunteer Position]
Mission of GeekGirlCon
GeekGirlCon celebrates and honors the legacy of women contributing to science and technology; comics, arts, and literature; and game play and game design by connecting geeky women worldwide and creating community to foster continued growth of women in geek culture through events. GeekGirlCon values being a Welcoming Community, Empowerment, Diversity and Inclusion.
The Panel Coordinator works with the Director of Programming and the Panel Program Manager to coordinate panels and presentations, and the panelists and presenters for the Con. The Coordinator provides logistical and administrative support to ensure that project deadlines related to panels and presentations are clearly communicated, documented, and met. Reports to the Panel Program Manager.
- Assists the Director of Programming, Panel Program Manager, and Panel Selection Committee in the execution of tasks and projects;
- Coordinates with panelists, presenters, and moderators to gather all information required for web and print materials;
- Assists Panel Program Manager with webinar on best practices for participating in a panel or presenting at GeekGirlCon;
- Works with the Marketing team to ensure the website is kept up-to-date with panelist and presenter information:
- Coordinates with Printed Program Project Manager, Copy, and Design Teams to meet deadlines for inclusion in programming book
- Day of Convention:
- With Panel Program Manager, oversees Special Agent coverage and troubleshoots issues
- Coordinates hospitality for panelists
- Other coverage as needed.
- Self-motivated and able to work effectively both independently and within a team;
- Has superior organizational skills and the ability to prioritize, problem solve, and multitask;
- Exhibits a keen attention to detail, including follow-through and follow-up;
- Has strong written and verbal communication skills;
- Has strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills;
- Exceptional customer service skills;
- Able to complete projects unassisted;
- High degree of flexibility;
- Competence with G-Suite tools (Gmail, Google Docs, etc.);
Available to work evenings and weekends.
- Competence with Basecamp;
- An understanding of current trends and topics in nerd culture.
What It Means to Volunteer as GeekGirlCon Staff
- GeekGirlCon staff positions are all volunteer, non-paid positions.
- Attendance in-person or remotely for staff and departmental meetings is required.
- Must maintain prompt and professional correspondence.
- Most work is conducted over email and with in-person meetings in the Seattle area.
- Between 5-10 hours per week of work is required for this role (including meetings, etc).
- The staff is a team of highly dedicated, geeky, and passionate volunteers; it’s a lot of hard work, but an amazing experience with lots of opportunity to help build GeekGirlCon for the future!