Reaction Team Coordinator [Volunteer Position]
Mission of GeekGirlCon
GeekGirlCon celebrates and honors the legacy of women contributing to science and technology; comics, arts, and literature; and game play and game design by connecting geeky women worldwide and creating community to foster continued growth of women in geek culture through events. GeekGirlCon values being a Welcoming Community, Empowerment, Diversity and Inclusion.
Positions Reporting To This One
The Reaction Team Coordinator is responsible for overseeing the enforcement of convention policies to ensure the safe and enjoyable experience for all guests and attendees. The Reaction Team Coordinator handles all escalations of violations, and is responsible for interfacing with the Executive Director and Volunteer Program Manager on policy issues. Reports to Volunteer Program Manager.
- Assists with the creation of safety policies for the Con and events.
- Coordinates with all departments to assess any policy/safety needs or concerns.
- Coordinates any policy/safety needs for special events done throughout the year, including management of any Reaction Team volunteers.
- Helps interview Reaction Team candidates and submits staffing recommendations to Volunteer Program Manager.
- Works with Director of Convention Operations to set annual departmental sub-budget.
- Trains Reaction Team
- During the convention:
- Manages the Special Agent Reaction Team during the convention.
- Supports Special Agent Team in handling reported violations, escalating to on-site convention and Directors as needed.
- Prepares daily reports of any issues to share with Volunteer Manager and Directors.
- Coordinates with any on-site security/convention center staff.
- Local Law Enforcement/Fire Department:
- The Executive Director is the primary contact for any law enforcement or officials.
- The Reaction Team Coordinator will relay any necessary information to the Executive Director.
- Prior knowledge/familiarity with security and safety procedures in relation to a convention.
- Strong communication skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of data and incidents.
- Ability to de-escalate potentially volatile situations.
- Able to supervise and direct volunteers.
- General knowledge of Gmail and Google Docs.
What It Means to Volunteer as GeekGirlCon Staff
- GeekGirlCon staff positions are all volunteer, non-paid positions.
- Attendance in-person or remotely for staff and departmental meetings is required.
- Must maintain prompt and professional correspondence.
- Most work is conducted over email and with in-person meetings in the Seattle area.
- The staff is a team of highly dedicated, geeky, and passionate volunteers; it’s a lot of hard work, but an amazing experience with lots of opportunity to help build GeekGirlCon for the future!