Seattle Events Coordinator [Volunteer Position]
Mission of GeekGirlCon
GeekGirlCon celebrates and honors the legacy of women contributing to science and technology; comics, arts, and literature; and game play and game design by connecting geeky women worldwide and creating community to foster continued growth of women in geek culture through events. GeekGirlCon values being a Welcoming Community, Empowerment, Diversity and Inclusion.
Events Program Manager
The Seattle Events Coordinator works with the Events Program Manager to plan and execute outreach and events with community partners in the central Seattle area. This includes all non-con related, year round events from roughly I-90 north to the waterway (i.e. Downtown, Central District, Capitol Hill, Queen Anne, etc.). This position works closely with the Director of Outreach, community contacts, and the other events coordinators.
- Is a public face of GeekGirlCon, representing the organization at tabling opportunities with audiences of varying sizes.
- Communicates GeekGirlCon’s brand and get others excited about GeekGirlCon.
- Communicates and coordinates with community partners and event venues.
- Works with the Event Programs Manager to organize and attend community outreach events.
- Takes the lead on tabling and event equipment, scheduling the use of the outreach kit and coordinating any merchandise requests.
- Takes money for pass sales, donations, and merch purchases.
- Submits marketing requests for events.
- Provides excellent customer service to event attendees and community partners.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent customer service and presentation skills.
- Ability to return correspondence in a timely manner.
- Flexible and adaptable.
- Experience hosting events or programs.
- Enthusiasm when promoting GeekGirlCon.
What It Means to Volunteer as GeekGirlCon Staff
- GeekGirlCon staff positions are all volunteer, non-paid positions.
- Attendance in-person or remotely for staff and departmental meetings is required.
- Most work is conducted over email and with in-person meetings in the Seattle area.
- Minimum commitment to this volunteer position is two convention cycles.
- Approximately 5-7 hours per week of work is required for this role (including meetings, etc).
- The staff is a team of highly dedicated, geeky, and passionate volunteers; it’s a lot of hard work, but an amazing experience with lots of opportunity to help build GeekGirlCon for the future!