Social Media Manager [Volunteer Position]
Mission of GeekGirlCon
GeekGirlCon celebrates and honors the legacy of women contributing to science and technology; comics, arts, and literature; and game play and game design by connecting geeky women worldwide and creating community to foster continued growth of women in geek culture through events. GeekGirlCon values being a Welcoming Community, Empowerment, Diversity and Inclusion.
Director of Digital Experiences
GeekGirlCon is seeking someone bright, enthusiastic, and savvy to take social media by the reigns.
Do you understand how to make people feel welcome and a part of GeekGirlCon through social media? Do you have a passion for emerging technologies that connect people and build community? If so, the social media manager role may be a good fit for you.
This vital role leads the social media team in creating a vibrant and active online community, promoting and sharing GeekGirlCon events, and serving as one of the primary public connections to GeekGirlCon. The Manager of Social Media oversees the GeekGirlCon Social Media Team, managing the Facebook, Twitter, and other approved social media platform Administrators.
The social media manager staff position generally requires an average of 15 hours per week time commitment throughout the year. During Con season, expect 20-30 hours per week.
- Runs the social media team, holds team meetings as needed, and recruits help.
- Regularly evaluates post and tweet engagement. Adjusts schedule of posts for maximum audience reach and engagement.
- Sets budget for boosted posts, tweets and ads.
- Works with creative services, copy and programming to create images and video assets for social posts.
- Creates, implements, oversees, tracks, and reports on social media campaigns.
- Responds to direct messages via social platforms and reaches out to staff to get answers for customer service and programming inquiries
- Fills in for open positions or those needing more help.
- Manages GeekGirlCon all social media platforms; possesses administrative roles on all active platforms, maintaining log-ins/passwords.
- Tracks mentions of GeekGirlCon on non-GeekGirlCon sites and responds as needed.
- Connects with key influencers online.
- Creates and oversees online social media promotions and strategies.
- Schedules social media coverage for the GeekGirlCon convention and ensures all media is uploaded in a timely manner.
- Understands how each social media platform works and keeps up to date with platform updates, enhancements and best practices.
- Understands how to use paid social and boosts; knows how to target audiences for best reach and engagement.
- Has an understanding of community management, is a “people person”, and is knowledgeable about the wide variety of geekery our audience may be interested in.
- Has a continual thirst for new social technologies.
- Has a background in marketing, communications, public relations; including project management, marketing strategies, and analytics.
- Must be quick to respond to emails as many items are time sensitive.
What It Means to Volunteer as GeekGirlCon Staff
- GeekGirlCon staff positions are all volunteer, non-paid positions.
- Attendance in-person or remotely for staff and departmental meetings is required.
- Must maintain prompt and professional correspondence.
- Most work is conducted over email and with in-person meetings in the Seattle area.
- The staff is a team of highly dedicated, geeky, and passionate volunteers; it’s a lot of hard work, but an amazing experience with lots of opportunity to help build GeekGirlCon for the future!