Social Media Specialist, Facebook [Volunteer Position]
Mission of GeekGirlCon
GeekGirlCon celebrates and honors the legacy of women contributing to science and technology; comics, arts, and literature; and game play and game design by connecting geeky women worldwide and creating community to foster continued growth of women in geek culture through events. GeekGirlCon values being a Welcoming Community, Empowerment, Diversity and Inclusion.
The Facebook Specialist runs and facilitates GeekGirlCon’s Facebook Page and fosters community through content and interactions with GeekGirlCon’s audience on Facebook. The Facebook Administrator is a passionate “people-person” with a diverse knowledge of geekdom.
Social Media Manager
- Updates GeekGirlCon’s Facebook account with:
- Information about GeekGirlCon.
- Information not related to GeekGirlCon that may interest our audience.
- Upcoming GeekGirlCon events.
- Responds in a timely manner to comments on GeekGirlCon’s Facebook page.
- Schedules posting.
- Works with various departments to help promote events or run them via Facebook.
- Helps with creation and running of social media campaigns.
- Makes sure profile reflects current GeekGirlCon branding.
- Help create, run, and maintain Facebook ads with the help of Social Media Manager.
- Understands how to use Facebook effectively as a brand.
- Knows Facebook culture and needs.
- Amazing customer service skills and can relate to GeekGirlCon’s diverse audience.
- Can analyze Facebook analytics and create actionable plans around them to meet goals.
- Excellent communication skills.
What It Means to Volunteer as GeekGirlCon Staff
- GeekGirlCon staff positions are all volunteer, non-paid positions.
- Attendance in-person or remotely for staff and departmental meetings is required.
- Must maintain prompt and professional correspondence.
- Most work is conducted over email and with in-person meetings in the Seattle area.
- Between 5-10 hours per week of work is required for this role (including meetings, etc).
- The staff is a team of highly dedicated, geeky, and passionate volunteers; it’s a lot of hard work, but an amazing experience with lots of opportunity to help build GeekGirlCon for the future!