Social Media Specialist, Twitter [Volunteer Position]
Mission of GeekGirlCon
GeekGirlCon celebrates and honors the legacy of women contributing to science and technology; comics, arts, and literature; and game play and game design by connecting geeky women worldwide and creating community to foster continued growth of women in geek culture through events. GeekGirlCon values being a Welcoming Community, Empowerment, Diversity and Inclusion.
Can you not tweet enough? Do you love live tweeting and have a diverse amount of geeky knowledge, whether from something you love or through geeky osmosis? Do you love curating content and sharing with your fellow geeks? GeekGirlCon seeks a passionate people-person to run @GeekGirlCon.
Social Media Manager
- Updates GeekGirlCon’s Twitter account with:Information about GeekGirlCon (20% of content)
- Information not related to GeekGirlCon that may interest our audience (80% of content).
- Makes sure GeekGirlCon is following followers who are actual people or vendors/partners.
- Follows new people or businesses who would be an asset to GeekGirlCon.
- Responds in a timely manner to direct messages and tweets to/about GeekGirlCon, including ones that hashtags or otherwise aren’t direct @GeekGirlCon mentions.
- Interacts in general with those following GeekGirlCon on Twitter.
- Schedules tweets and get updates from 7am-8pm Pacific Time, at least once an hour.
- Works with various departments to help promote events or run them via Twitter.
- Maintains Twitter related analytics.
- Helps with creation and running of social media campaigns.
- Makes sure profile reflects current GeekGirlCon branding.
- Understands how to use Twitter effectively as a brand.
- Knows Twitter specific lingo and culture.
- Amazing customer service skills and can relate to GeekGirlCon’s diverse audience.
- Can analyze Twitter analytics and create actionable plans around them to meet goals.
- Excellent communication skills.
What It Means to Volunteer as GeekGirlCon Staff
- GeekGirlCon staff positions are all volunteer, non-paid positions.
- Attendance in-person or remotely for staff and departmental meetings is required.
- Must maintain prompt and professional correspondence.
- Most work is conducted over email and with in-person meetings in the Seattle area.
- Between 5-10 hours per week of work is required for this role (including meetings, etc).
- The staff is a team of highly dedicated, geeky, and passionate volunteers; it’s a lot of hard work, but an amazing experience with lots of opportunity to help build GeekGirlCon for the future!