Video Marketing Manager [Volunteer Position]
Mission of GeekGirlCon
GeekGirlCon celebrates and honors the legacy of women contributing to science and technology; comics, arts, and literature; and game play and game design by connecting geeky women worldwide and creating community to foster continued growth of women in geek culture through events. GeekGirlCon values being a Welcoming Community, Empowerment, Diversity and Inclusion.
Director of Digital Experiences
GeekGirlCon is expanding our marketing team to include more videos. We’re looking for volunteers passionate about our mission statement and ready with the skills needed for this new team to collaborate and succeed.
This role is responsible for overseeing a small team producing, directing, designing, writing, shooting, and some editing of short-form videos, single/multi-camera events, and audio projects. This role will include helping other staff develop interview videos, in-house informational videos, as well as working with volunteers during the con to gather video for a post-con production.
The video marketing manager staff position requires an average of 5-7 hours per week of work (including meetings, etc) throughout the year, and we ask for a commitment of 2 convention cycles.
- Runs the video team, holds team meetings as needed, and recruits help.
- Creates, implements, oversees, tracks, and reports on video campaigns.
- Active on social media sites such as YouTube, and initiates topics to keep conversations going.
- Fills in for open positions or those needing more help.
- Works with other marketing teams (social media, design, copy) to collaborate with online social media promotions and strategies.
- Schedules video coverage for the GeekGirlCon convention and related events throughout the year.
- Pitch video ideas/concepts that can be developed and made into original short form videos
- Schedule and facilitate brainstorming sessions with the team and give creative feedback
- Demonstrate the developed idea in order to visually present the concept in an easy to follow manner
- Contribute ideas and provide feedback on videos
- Oversee collaborations with GGC team, attendees, vendors, and partners to create multimedia content
- Communicate effectively with internal and external teams and partners
- 4+ years of experience of video marketing/production experience
- 2+ years of management experience.
- Experience with and intermediate knowledge of video equipment, as well as editing software such as Avid or Premiere.
- Experience in production budgeting and scheduling
- Experience with hands-on video pre-production, production, and post production workflows.
- Willingness and ability to work under tight schedules
- Self-motivated and professional
- Able to communicate efficiently, both verbally and in writing (within team and interdepartmentally)
- Able to manage and interact with a team, communicate, and present ideas
- Handle criticism and feedback professionally and appropriately
- Able to work autonomously.
What It Means to Volunteer as GeekGirlCon Staff
- GeekGirlCon staff positions are all volunteer, non-paid positions.
- Attendance in-person or remotely for staff and departmental meetings is required.
- Must maintain prompt and professional correspondence.
- Most work is conducted over email and with in-person meetings in the Seattle area.
- The staff is a team of highly dedicated, geeky, and passionate volunteers; it’s a lot of hard work, but an amazing experience with lots of opportunity to help build GeekGirlCon for the future!