Volunteer Coordinator [Volunteer Position]
Mission of GeekGirlCon
GeekGirlCon celebrates and honors the legacy of women contributing to science and technology; comics, arts, and literature; and game play and game design by connecting geeky women worldwide and creating community to foster continued growth of women in geek culture through events. GeekGirlCon values being a Welcoming Community, Empowerment, Diversity and Inclusion.
Positions Reporting To This One
The Volunteer Coordinator helps manage volunteer resources to assist in the execution of GeekGirlCon’s events and services. This includes directly managing volunteers as indicated by the Volunteer Manager, and providing guidance, support, and resources to staff who supervise volunteers.
- Develop diversity and inclusion training for volunteers. Provide best practices for working with diverse communities of varying abilities.
- Review and organize volunteer applications and assist with the selection of new volunteers.
- Write template memos, forum posts, forms, and email responses for mass distribution.
- Help moderate volunteer forums and social media accounts.
- Assist with end of year gift for all volunteers.
- Manage the check-in process for volunteers and staff at GeekGirlCon.
- Oversee Agent Headquarters at GeekGirlCon including the inventory and procurement of supplies.
- Other tasks as assigned by the Volunteer Manager.
- Knowledge of Google Office Suite including Gmail, Drive, and Groups.
- Community admin experience including forums and social media.
- Ability to follow strict deadlines and manage time effectively.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Self-motivated and able to work with little to no oversight.
- Ability to work with a wide range of people.
What It Means to Volunteer as GeekGirlCon Staff
- GeekGirlCon staff positions are all volunteer, non-paid positions.
- Attendance in-person or remotely for staff and departmental meetings is required.
- Must maintain prompt and professional correspondence.
- Most work is conducted over email and with in-person meetings in the Seattle area.
- Between 5-7 hours per week of work is required for this role (including meetings, etc).
- Commit to working 2 convention cycles.
- The staff is a team of highly dedicated, geeky, and passionate volunteers; it’s a lot of hard work, but an amazing experience with lots of opportunity to help build GeekGirlCon for the future!