March Geek About Town!
March starts off with one of the biggest conventions in the Northwest, but the geeky events are strong all month long. Here’s a look.
Thursday, March 2 through 5: Emerald City Comicon
- Start 5 p.m. on Thursday and goes until Sunday
- Ticket availability information here
- ECCC is one of the northwest’s largest comic book & pop culture conventions. Panels range between a variety of fandoms and entertainment guests include Millie Bobby Brown, Stan Lee, and Jeremy Renner.
If you weren’t able to get a full weekend pass for ECCC this year, GeekGirlCon still has passes available for our four-day event in the fall. Learn about that here.
Thursday, March 2: Geek Out! ECCC Trivia Night
- Starts at 7:30 p.m. — Raygun Lounge in Capitol Hill
- Trivia Night is back for Emerald City Comicon! Join the host Andrew and his special guests from Comics Chat with Gat, the Nerdhole, and A Podcast For All Intents and Purposes for an evening of exciting trivia! And fun! There will be a multitude of exciting prizes for winners and also some great prizes you can win just for showing up and buying drinks.
Friday, March 3: ECCC Presents: Power-up Party!
- 7 p.m. to 11 p.m. — The Showbox Market in downtown
- Tickets start at $25
- Party with Saved by the 90s, Epic Rap Battles of History,mc chris and DJ Elliot as we rock out and celebrate Emerald City Comicon
Saturday, March 4: Breaking the Bamboo Ceiling Panel LIVE at ECCC!
- 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. – Emerald City Comic Con, room TCC 301
- Featuring staff from GeekGirlCon, this panel will discuss changes in the representation of Asians, how far we have come, and what challenges still need to be overcome in their ECCC panel presentation of Breaking the Bamboo Ceiling: the Evolving Representation of Asians in Film, TV and Gaming. Read more about the panel here.
Saturday, March 4: Science Fiction and Fantasy Celebration
- 7 p.m. — MoPOP Museum in Seattle Center
- Tickets start at $18
- Prepare to party like it’s 3001 at the Hall of Fame 20th anniversary and gallery opening party. Featuring guests of honor: actor Aaron Douglas (Battlestar Galactica, Dirk Gently), Wende Doohan, wife of the late James Doohan (Star Trek), Robyn Miller (Myst co-creator), and more.
Tuesday, March 7 and 21: All Geeks, All Games
- 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. — Mox Boarding House in Bellevue
- All Geeks, All Games is an event developed by Mox Boarding House to celebrate and promote diversity and inclusiveness in the local gaming community. Everyone is welcome to come by and play board games, Magic the Gathering, miniature gaming, and more!
Wednesday, March 8: International Women’s Day Seattle: Be Bold for Change
- Starts at 5:30 p.m. — Town Hall
- Free to $60, read ticket information here
- International Women’s Day celebrates the social, economic, cultural and political achievements of women around the world. Hear from women who will share their experiences of taking action and making a difference locally, nationally, and globally. The day also marks a call to action for accelerating gender equality. Featured speakers include Martha Adams, chief creative officer, of Girls Rising.
Wednesday, March 8: Shaun King speaking at pop-up event in Seattle
- Starts at 7 p.m. — Franklin High School
- Free and open to the public
- New York Daily News journalist and Black Lives Matter advocate Shaun King is speaking at a free event at Franklin High School.
What’s up Seattle!
I’m speaking TONIGHT @ 7pm @ Franklin High School in a pop up event. Doors open at 6pm. No tickets required. pic.twitter.com/CWxuwVD9cW
— Shaun King (@ShaunKing) March 8, 2017
Thursday, March 9: Women of Color Boardgame Meetup
- Starts at 7 p.m. — Raygun Lounge
- Raygun Lounge will host an evening of ease, relaxation and camaraderie in a friendly, low key, comfortable environment.
Friday, March 10 and 24: GeekGirlCon Board Game Night at Wayward Coffeehouse!
- 7 p.m. to 10:45 p.m. — Wayward Coffeehouse in Seattle’s Roosevelt neighborhood
- Free event
- Do you love board games and enjoy teaching others how to play? Explore the board/card game hobby and meet folks happy to teach you their favorite board games! Come and play with folks who love playing games. And the best part about the GeekGirlCon game nights with our friends at Wayward? It’s free!
Friday and Saturday, March 10, 11: Fussy Cloud Puppet Slam Volume 12
- 8 p.m. — Theatre Off Jackson
- $12 in advance, recommended 18+
- After almost a year’s hiatus, Fussy Cloud is back and chock full of brand new delicious puppet weirdness. A quirky cabaret by and for puppet loving grown-ups, Volume 12 features a variety of fascinating short works by puppeteers from all over the Pacific Northwest, including visiting artists from Portland and Canada. The pieces cover a wide variety of puppet styles, from shadow puppetry to Punch and Judy, from crankies to arm-and-rod (Muppet style) and more.
Saturday and Sunday, March 11 and 12: Dino Weekend
- During museum hours at Burke Museum, read hours here
- $10 to go
- Chat with paleontologists, touch bones, see fossil preparation, dig up your an ancient treasures, and give your respects to prehistory. This event is hugely popular: the sooner you buy tickets, the better.
Sunday, March 12: Sticker Swap
- 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. — Push/Pull in Ballard
- Event is free if you bring stickers, $5 otherwise
- Bring full sheets, partial sheets, homemade, hand-cut, mass-produced, silk-screened, puffy, kawaii, glow-in-the-dark … anything goes!
Sunday, March 12: Ladies Comic Book Club
- Starts at 6 p.m. — Comics Dungeon in Wallingford
- The first half of this event is all ages, and then it goes into “after hours” for 21+
- This is ladies and female-identified only book club hosted through Seattle’s Comics Dungeon and; dedicated to fostering a safe space for women to discuss comics. Comics Dungeon is hosting a “double feature” comic book discussion. For the all ages discussion starting at 6 p.m., they will talk about Boom’s sci-fi maxi-series The Spire! Then at 7 p.m., they’ll go into their 21+ discussion of Sunstone Volume 3.
Thursday, March 16: Gamer Grrrls night out
- 7 p.m. — Raygun Lounge in Capitol Hill
- Every third Thursday we’re thrilled to partner with the esteemed Lauren Karp to bring you an inclusive gaming event for all of our amazing trans, LGBTQ, non-binary and genderqueer folks of all persuasions and identifications and their friends. There will be a couple of tables reserved for members of this event to play games, be they card, board, or dice games, with one table acting as a rotating beginners D&D/RPG table.
Saturday, March 18: Celebrate World Day of Puppetry with the Puppeteers of Puget Sound
- Starts at 12 p.m. — Thistle Theatre Studio
- Join the Puppeteers of Puget Sound in celebrating the World Day of Puppetry! This family-friendly event will have a toy theater of Hamilton and a giant dollhouse and puppets from Beatrix Potter’s Two Bad Mice.
Wednesday, March 22: Moviecat: Movie Trivia Night
- Starts at 7 p.m. — Central Cinema in Capitol Hill
- $6 ticket, click here for event page
- An interactive movie trivia night, featuring audio clips, cleverly edited movie clips and of course cats drawn into movie scenes!
Saturday, March 25: 2017 Prom Night Auction with Three Dollar Bill Cinema
- Starts at 6 p.m. — Showbox SODO
- Tickets start at $150
- Don your glass slippers, hop into a limo, and pop some bottles at our 10th Annual Dinner and Auction! Hosted by Seattle’s favorite Prom Queen… Robbie Turner (RuPaul’s Drag Race) and a ballot of very special guests.
Thursday, March 30: Eugenia Cheng: Infinite Cookies (and More Math Fun)
- Starts at 7:30 p.m. — Town Hall in First Hill
- Tickets $5
- As one of few women in her field, Cheng aims to reach a wide audience about all things math and dispel the phobia that many people feel regarding the subject. Her popular Youtube videos explaining a variety of math topics have been viewed more than 700,000 times.
Stay in the know about GeekGirlCon by signing up for our emailing list here.