Accessibility Manager [Volunteer Position]
Mission of GeekGirlCon
GeekGirlCon celebrates and honors the legacy of women contributing to science and technology; comics, arts, and literature; and game play and game design by connecting geeky women worldwide and creating community to foster continued growth of women in geek culture through events. GeekGirlCon values being a Welcoming Community, Empowerment, Diversity and Inclusion.
Work with all departments in GeekGirlCon organization to facilitate greater accessibility for staff and attendees both during the convention itself and during the planning stages.
Director of Convention Operations
Positions Reporting to This One
- Access and report to the Director of Convention Operations on areas of improvement for accessibility
- Review, maintain, and update Accessibility-related information on website and marketing material
- Develop projects for the accessibility team based on improvement goals;
- Examine plans for physical spaces to make sure it meets necessary accommodations
- Create and implement accessibility trainings for staff and volunteers regarding meeting the needs of all con attendees
- Curate accessibility programming
- Maintains accessibility budget in alignment with overall budget
- Ensure accessibility needs are met in staff meetings
- Provide guidance to Marketing and Outreach departments in improving accessibility of online content and outreach events
- Manages other accessibility logistics as necessary
- Direct other accessibility positions, such as Accessibility Coordinator
- Oversees accessibility coverage and troubleshoots issues at convention
- Knowledge of ADA and state ordinances regarding Disability Rights Law including service and companion animal rights
- Knowledge of common accommodations and adaptive devices used by people with disabilities
- Experience working in a diverse environment
- Experience as Accessibility Coordinator or similar role
- Experience on staff of a convention
- Experience conducting and assessing training sessions and workshops and/or teaching experience
What It Means to Volunteer as GeekGirlCon Staff
- GeekGirlCon staff positions are all volunteer, non-paid positions.
- Attendance remotely (or in-person, during non-pandemic times) for staff and departmental meetings is required.
- Must maintain prompt and professional correspondence.
- Most work is conducted over email and with in-person meetings in the Seattle area.
- Between 5-7 hours per week of work is required for this role (including meetings, etc).
- The staff is a team of highly dedicated, geeky, and passionate volunteers; it’s a lot of hard work, but an amazing experience with lots of opportunity to help build GeekGirlCon for the future!