Activities Manager [Volunteer Position]
Mission of GeekGirlCon
GeekGirlCon celebrates and honors the legacy of women contributing to science and technology; comics, arts, and literature; and game play and game design by connecting geeky women worldwide and creating community to foster continued growth of women in geek culture through events. GeekGirlCon values being a Welcoming Community, Empowerment, Diversity and Inclusion.
The Activities Manager is responsible for the planning, logistics, and execution of all Programming activities that don't fall within the Gaming, Panel, DIY Science, or Events purviews. These activities may include (but are not limited to) photo booths, meet-ups, and all-day workshops or demonstrations. The Activities Manager will work closely with the Programming Department and the Convention Operations Department.
Director of Interactive Programming
Positions Reporting to This One
Workshop Coordinator, Activities Coordinator
- Oversee, plan, and execute all programming under Activities.
- Plan Activities schedule and provide Activities-related Printed Program deliverables to Marketing.
- Manage Activities Team, hire open Activities Team positions.
- Review community activity submissions and select actionable activities.
- Work with Workshop Coordinator to review community workshop submissions and select actionable workshops.
- Work across teams and departments to ensure alignment and no duplication of work.
- Collaborate with Marketing to ensure promotion of Activities content.
- Work with Con Ops to coordinate logistics including AV needs, room supplies, and space planning.
- Manage all Activities Special Agents with the exception of Workshops Special Agents.
- Manage Activities budget.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Organized, timely, and pays attention to deadlines.
- Possesses strong written and oral communication skills.
- Able to execute job responsibilities with minimal direct supervision.
- Proactive and efficient.
- Flexible: can work effectively both independently and within a team.
- Competent with G-Suite tools.
- Prior event coordination experience.
- Competent with Basecamp.
- Managerial experience.
What It Means to Volunteer as GeekGirlCon Staff
- GeekGirlCon staff positions are all volunteer, non-paid positions.
- Attendance remotely (or in-person, during non-pandemic times) for staff and departmental meetings is required.
- Must maintain prompt and professional correspondence.
- Most work is conducted over email and with in-person meetings in the Seattle area.
- Between 5-10 hours per week of work is required for this role (including meetings, etc).
- The staff is a team of highly dedicated, geeky, and passionate volunteers; it’s a lot of hard work, but an amazing experience with lots of opportunity to help build GeekGirlCon for the future!