Associate Content Strategist [Volunteer Position]
Mission of GeekGirlCon
GeekGirlCon celebrates and honors the legacy of women contributing to science and technology; comics, arts, and literature; and game play and game design by connecting geeky women worldwide and creating community to foster continued growth of women in geek culture through events. GeekGirlCon values being a Welcoming Community, Empowerment, Diversity and Inclusion.
GeekGirlCon is looking for Associate Content Strategists!
Copy Team, as we lovingly call it, creates and/or edits much of the public-facing copy for the org and operates the blog. A perfect candidate would have some experience (and a lot of interest!) in writing as well as a deep commitment to anti-racism and social justice.
This is a volunteer position, as all staff positions at GeekGirlCon are, and would require a time commitment of approximately 10-15 hours per month throughout the year with an increase as we gear up for con, which typically happens in October/November.
Manager of Editorial Services
- Create copy for the website, social media, emails, con Program Guide, and other digital/print marketing materials
- Write blogs posts highlighting annual con, year-round events, or other org-related news
- Compose original blog posts about mission-aligned topics, including but not limited to media reviews, features about relevant individuals or orgs, social justice issues, and personal stories about feminist and geeky subjects
- Edit, add images/image descriptions to, and publish blog posts using WordPress according to established schedule
- Collaborate with different departments to provide requested copy
- Manage unique projects as needed
- Enthusiasm for the mission of GeekGirlCon
- Some experience (educational or otherwise) with writing
- Willingness to carefully edit blog posts according to GeekGirlCon’s In-House Style Guide
- Able to manage your own time in order to produce content according to set deadlines with little direct supervision
- Excited about collaborating with the other folks on your team and throughout the org to help GeekGirlCon grow and evolve
- Commitment to anti-racism, equity, and accessibility and how we can continue to prioritize them in our geeky spaces
- Able to dedicate a few hours per week to GeekGirlCon, potentially more during con season, with room for flexibility as needed
- Able to respond to messages from others in the org within two days generally
- Available to meet virtually with Copy Team and other departments as needed (usually once a month)
- Able to meet virtually once a month on a Sunday afternoon for GeekGirlCon All-Staff Meeting
What It Means to Volunteer as GeekGirlCon Staff
- GeekGirlCon staff positions are all volunteer, non-paid positions.
- Attendance remotely (or in-person, during non-pandemic times) for staff and departmental meetings is required.
- Must maintain prompt and professional correspondence.
- Most work is conducted over email and with in-person meetings in the Seattle area.
- Between 2-4 hours per week of work is required for this role (including meetings, etc).
- The staff is a team of highly dedicated, geeky, and passionate volunteers; it’s a lot of hard work, but an amazing experience with lots of opportunity to help build GeekGirlCon for the future!
- Submit a resume that highlights your most relevant education and/or work experience
- As we review applications, the next step would be a virtual interview with our Manager of Editorial Services and other staff members. We will provide you our interview questions ahead of time!
- After the interview stage, we will ask you for a writing sample of 500-1000 words that fits the prompt of “media character that embodies GeekGirlCon’s values and why I love them!” (Here are some past examples from this series get you thinking: Anne, Shirase, Leia, Jane.)
We are so looking forward to hearing from you! If you have any questions, concerns, or need any clarification, please do not hesitate to reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.