Community Manager [Volunteer Position]
Mission of GeekGirlCon
GeekGirlCon celebrates and honors the legacy of women contributing to science and technology; comics, arts, and literature; and game play and game design by connecting geeky women worldwide and creating community to foster continued growth of women in geek culture through events. GeekGirlCon values being a Welcoming Community, Empowerment, Diversity and Inclusion.
Create and maintain a diverse, vibrant, and active online community through a GeekGirlCon social media platform. A Social Media Community Manager runs and facilitates @GeekGirlCon on facebook, twitter, and/or instagram, fostering community through sharing mission-aligned content and interactions with GeekGirlCon’s audience. The ideal candidate should be a passionate people-person with positive and effective written communication skills and a diverse knowledge of geekdom.
Manager of Social Media
- Update GeekGirlCon Facebook, Twitter, and/or Instagram accounts with
- Information about GeekGirlCon or Information not related to GeekGirlCon that may interest target communities
- Upcoming GeekGirlCon events and announcements
- Ensure social media profile and presence reflects current GeekGirlCon branding
- Regularly share mission-aligned geek content amplifying diverse voices in the geek community
- Monitor community-submitted questions and comments and reply promptly and respectfully
- Follow new people or businesses who would be an asset to GeekGirlCon
- Interact in general with those following GeekGirlCon
- Makes sure GeekGirlCon is following followers who are actual people or vendors/partners
- Help create, run, and maintain ads with the help of the Social Media Manager and Social Media team
- Fill in scheduling original GeekGirlCon content as needed
- Ensure all media is uploaded in a timely manner
- Maintain analytics
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Understanding of community management
- Interest in searching out wide range of geekery
- Amazing customer service skills and can relate to GeekGirlCon’s diverse audience
- Familiarity with Facebook, Instagram, and/or Twitter and understands how to use social media effectively
- Commitment to diversity, inclusion, and an environment of respect, understanding, and positive communication
- Familiarity with social media best practices
- Ability to analyze analytics and create actionable plans around them to meet goals
- Excellent communication skills
- Familiarity with Hootsuite, Tumblr, Tiktok, LinkedIn, and other social media platforms is a plus
- Familiarity with Canva is a plus
What It Means to Volunteer as GeekGirlCon Staff
- GeekGirlCon staff positions are all volunteer, non-paid positions.
- Attendance remotely (or in-person, during non-pandemic times) for staff and departmental meetings is required.
- Must maintain prompt and professional correspondence.
- Most work is conducted over email and with in-person meetings in the Seattle area.
- Between 5-10 hours per week of work is required for this role (including meetings, etc).
- The staff is a team of highly dedicated, geeky, and passionate volunteers; it’s a lot of hard work, but an amazing experience with lots of opportunity to help build GeekGirlCon for the future!