Corporate Sponsorships Manager [Volunteer Position]
Mission of GeekGirlCon
GeekGirlCon celebrates and honors the legacy of women contributing to science and technology; comics, arts, and literature; and game play and game design by connecting geeky women worldwide and creating community to foster continued growth of women in geek culture through events. GeekGirlCon values being a Welcoming Community, Empowerment, Diversity and Inclusion.
GeekGirlCon’s Corporate Sponsorships Coordinator is in charge of acquiring corporate sponsors and grants from businesses operating within a specific industry. This position requires an enthusiastic attitude with excellent communication skills and a keen eye for detail.
Director of Internal Operations
- Oversees development of corporate sponsorship programming and develops a comprehensive prospecting and retention plan.
- Assists Sponsorship Coordinator in setting fundraising goals; tracks progress towards goal and provides monthly reports.
- Maintains Corporate sponsor file, tracking cycle of each sponsorship asks for prospective and returning sponsors.
- Drafts sponsorship agreements and invoices; tracks fair market value of sponsorship benefits and issues tax statements at the end of the fiscal year.
- Keeps accurate details for all merchandise/in-kind donations received, including exact quantity of donation (i.e. “100 comic books,” not “box of comic books”) and full retail value of said items or services.
- Coordinates with the Exhibitor Services Manager and Registration and Admission Manager regarding sponsor tables and comped passes.
- Coordinates with Operations and Marketing departments regarding sponsorship deliverables and recognition.
- Ensures that Sponsors receive entitled benefits; tracks deliverables for each sponsorship agreement.
- Review and update sponsorship tiers as needed to maximize revenue goals.
- Obtains logos, ad files, and other information from corporate sponsors for the program poster and other printed materials or electronic communication.
- Works with Director of Internal Operations and Sponsorship Manager to set annual departmental sub-budget; reviews expenses and update spending needs annually.
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills. Able to write clear, concise and compelling communication.
- Experience in communicating business and marketing objectives to corporations in order to establish and maintain support and enthusiasm.
- Minimum of 1 to 2 years experience in development.
- Knowledge of Seattle business and/or gaming establishments and familiarity with sponsorship proposal development.
- Self-motivated and able to operate with little direction.
- Must be proficient with Word and Excel.
What It Means to Volunteer as GeekGirlCon Staff
- GeekGirlCon staff positions are all volunteer, non-paid positions.
- Attendance remotely (or in-person, during non-pandemic times) for staff and departmental meetings is required.
- Must maintain prompt and professional correspondence.
- Most work is conducted over email and with in-person meetings in the Seattle area.
- Between 5 hours per week of work is required for this role (including meetings, etc). Must be present at convention to meet with sponsors and assure needs are being met.
- Minimum commitment of one convention cycles to this volunteer position.
- The staff is a team of highly dedicated, geeky, and passionate volunteers; it’s a lot of hard work, but an amazing experience with lots of opportunity to help build GeekGirlCon for the future!