Cosplay Contest Coordinator [Volunteer Position]
Mission of GeekGirlCon
GeekGirlCon celebrates and honors the legacy of women contributing to science and technology; comics, arts, and literature; and game play and game design by connecting geeky women worldwide and creating community to foster continued growth of women in geek culture through events. GeekGirlCon values being a Welcoming Community, Empowerment, Diversity and Inclusion.
The Cosplay Contest Coordinator works with the Special Events Manager and the Director of Programming to coordinate the GeekGirlCon Costume Contest. The Coordinator handles all logistical and administrative needs to ensure that project deadlines related to the Cosplay Contest are clearly communicated, documented, and met.
Special Events Manager
- Assists the Manager and Director in creating a strategic plan for the Cosplay Contest, including a timeline and budget;
- Sources Cosplay Contest judges, host, sponsors, prize donors, and partners;
- Assists with event registration and coordination;
- Schedules, trains, and supervises event volunteers when needed;
- Coordinates with the Design & Copy teams to produce promotional materials for the event;
- Works with the Marketing Department to ensure the website and printed program booklet are kept up-to-date with event and performer information;
- Runs the event day-of, including any needed rehearsals, and manages participant needs.
- Self-motivated and able to work effectively both independently and within a team;
- Superior organizational skills and the ability to prioritize, problem solve, and multitask;
- Keen attention to detail, including follow-through and follow-up;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills;
- Exceptional customer service and relationship-building skills;
- Able to manage projects unassisted;
- High degree of flexibility;
- Available to work evenings and weekends.
- Prior event experience.
What It Means to Volunteer as GeekGirlCon Staff
- GeekGirlCon staff positions are all volunteer, non-paid positions.
- Attendance remotely (or in-person, during non-pandemic times) for staff and departmental meetings is required.
- Must maintain prompt and professional correspondence.
- Most work is conducted over email and with in-person meetings in the Seattle area.
- Between 5-10 hours per week of work is required for this role (including meetings, etc).
- The staff is a team of highly dedicated, geeky, and passionate volunteers; it’s a lot of hard work, but an amazing experience with lots of opportunity to help build GeekGirlCon for the future!