Director of Convention Operations [Volunteer Position]
Mission of GeekGirlCon
GeekGirlCon celebrates and honors the legacy of women contributing to science and technology; comics, arts, and literature; and game play and game design by connecting geeky women worldwide and creating community to foster continued growth of women in geek culture through events. GeekGirlCon values being a Welcoming Community, Empowerment, Diversity and Inclusion.
The Operations Director oversees the Operations department, managing the annual convention planning activities for GeekGirlCon, while keeping the organization in compliance with various federal, state and local regulations and ordinances for the convention.
Positions Reporting to This One
Registration and Admission Manager, Data and Survey Manager, Exhibitor Services Manager, Volunteer Manager, Reaction Team Manager, Accessibility Manager
- Serve as part of GeekGirlCon’s executive team in making sure that day-to-day goals are being met and long-term plans/visions put in place by the Board are continued.
- Works with Operations Department managers to create an annual departmental budget.
- Review event bills for accuracy, and approve payment.
- Monitor event activities to ensure compliance with applicable regulations and laws, satisfaction of participants, security and resolution of any problems that arise.
- Inspect facilities and provide ‘walk through’ for staff and appropriate volunteers.
- Hire, train, and supervise volunteers and support staff required for annual convention.
- Coordinate services for annual convention, such as department facilities requirements, catering needs, general signage, displays, accommodation requirements, and event security.
- Review bids and quotes from service providers, negotiate contracts with service providers and suppliers such as hotels and convention center.
- Maintain records of event aspects, including financial details.
- Coordinate post-event evaluations to determine how future events could be improved.
- Acts as liaison between GeekGirlCon, convention venues, and AV contractors.
- Acts as liaison between GeekGirlCon and wi-fi access provider if necessary.
- Makes sure proper equipment and other items are in the right place.
- Makes sure floor plans are approved by convention venue.
- Creates and orchestrates move-in and move-out plans.
- Manages AV needs.
- Work with appropriate individuals to develop and monitor timelines and deadlines related to all aspects of events, ensuring the information is communicated with staff, volunteers, contractors and other constituents.
- Develop and monitor timelines/promotional schedule for events, working with communications staff to ensure adequate and proper promotion.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a collaborative management style.
- Maintains discretion and professionalism when dealing with sensitive and confidential information and/or material.
- Ability to respond to matters requiring urgent action and making decisions in alignment with severity, sensitivity, and GeekGirlCon values in response.
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills including records management, procurement, and budgeting.
- Ability to delegate and follow up.
- Proficient knowledge of Excel, Word, WordPress, Google Docs, Adobe Acrobat/Reader.
- Project Manager experience is preferred but not required.
What It Means to Volunteer as GeekGirlCon Staff
- GeekGirlCon staff positions are all volunteer, non-paid positions.
- Attendance remotely (or in-person, during non-pandemic times) for staff and departmental meetings is required.
- Must maintain prompt and professional correspondence.
- Most work is conducted over email and with in-person meetings in the Seattle area.
- Between 10-20 hours per week of work is required for this role (including meetings, etc).
- The staff is a team of highly dedicated, geeky, and passionate volunteers; it’s a lot of hard work, but an amazing experience with lots of opportunity to help build GeekGirlCon for the future!