Director of Internal Operations [Volunteer Position]
Mission of GeekGirlCon
GeekGirlCon celebrates and honors the legacy of women contributing to science and technology; comics, arts, and literature; and game play and game design by connecting geeky women worldwide and creating community to foster continued growth of women in geek culture through events. GeekGirlCon values being a Welcoming Community, Empowerment, Diversity and Inclusion.
The Internal Operations Director oversees the Internal Operations Department, manages the organization in Human Resources, and helps and creates organizational and program budgets in collaboration with Executive Director and departmental directors.
Working with the management team, the position also contributes to the development and implementation of organizational strategies, policies, and practices.
Positions Reporting to This One
HR Manager, Bookkeeper, Sponsorship Manager, Sponsorship Coordinator
- Improve the operational systems, processes, and policies in support of the organization’s mission — specifically, support better management reporting, information flow and management, business processes, and organization planning.
- Manage and increase the effectiveness and efficiency of support services (HR and Finance), through improvements to each function, as well as coordination and communication between support and business functions.
- Play a significant role in long-term planning, including an initiative geared toward operational excellence.
- Oversee overall financial management, planning, systems, and controls.
- Maintain transparency with monthly updates to staff regarding organizational budget expenses and revenue sources; manage budget to actual reporting at department level.
- Create and manage annual organizational budget.
- Disburse checks for agency expenses.
- Organize fiscal documents with Bookkeeper; perform purchase order processing and manage documentation retention for expenses.
- Prepare annual audit and be a liaison with all outside vendors.
- Support annual Form 990 tax filing in collaboration with Executive Director.
- At least 3 years in financial management
- Knowledge of tax and other compliance requirements non-profit corporations (501c3 status).
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a collaborative management style.
- Maintains discretion and professionalism when dealing with sensitive and confidential information and/or material.
- Ability to respond to matters requiring urgent action and make decisions in alignment with severity, sensitivity, and GeekGirlCon values.
- Experience working with a nonprofit or volunteer organization
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong organizational skills including records management, procurement, and budgeting.
- Ability to delegate and follow up.
- Proficient knowledge of Quickbooks, Online, Excel, Word, WordPress, Google Drive, and Adobe Acrobat/Reader.
- Project manager experience.
What It Means to Volunteer as GeekGirlCon Staff
- GeekGirlCon staff positions are all volunteer, non-paid positions.
- Attendance remotely (or in-person, during non-pandemic times) for staff and departmental meetings is required.
- Must maintain prompt and professional correspondence.
- Most work is conducted over email and with in-person meetings in the Seattle area.
- Between 5-10 hours per week of work is required for this role (including meetings, etc).
- The staff is a team of highly dedicated, geeky, and passionate volunteers; it’s a lot of hard work, but an amazing experience with lots of opportunity to help build GeekGirlCon for the future!