Manager of Web Content [Volunteer Position]
Mission of GeekGirlCon
GeekGirlCon celebrates and honors the legacy of women contributing to science and technology; comics, arts, and literature; and game play and game design by connecting geeky women worldwide and creating community to foster continued growth of women in geek culture through events. GeekGirlCon values being a Welcoming Community, Empowerment, Diversity and Inclusion.
The Manager of Web Content will provide leadership, direction, and development for the website and supporting team. This role will be in charge of GeekGirlCon’s website, digital strategy, inbound marketing, and sculpting GeekGirlCon.com to support GeekGirlCon’s mission. Oversees the Web Team.
Director of Marketing
Positions Reporting to This One
Web Content Producer, Email Marketing Specialist
- Ultimately responsible for GeekGirlCon.com and all content within.
- Develop, propose, manage, execute, and champion and GeekGirlCon’s digital strategy, reinforcing and growing the organization’s presence across digital marketing channels.
- Communicates with the Manager of Design, the Manager of Editorial Services, and the Director of Marketing to ensure website branding follows branding guides.
- Work with Director of Marketing, Social Media, Editorial, and Public Relations to develop an aligned digital marketing strategy.
- Supervise Web Content Producers and Email Marketing Specialists to ensure projects are moving smoothly.
- Responsible for interviewing and hiring of additional Web Team staff as needed.
- Fill in for Web Team roles when needed.
- Present updates at staff meetings.
- Work within a budget.
- 2+ years of experience with crafting websites and digital user experiences.
- Experience with and intermediate knowledge of WordPress.
- Knowledge of HTML and CSS a must. Knowledge of PHP a bonus.
- Experience working with SEO, social media, and Google Analytics.
- Keeps up with the changing digital landscape.
- Able to manage and work with a team efficiently to meet deadlines.
- Excellent communication skills, love of email, and patience with those less technologically inclined.
- Experience with basic graphic editing.
- Experience with determining success via analytics, user testing, and user research.
- Interest in web accessibility and auditing GeekGirlCon.com for accessibility violations.
- Ability to produce web content with a solid grasp of writing and grammar/spelling.
What It Means to Volunteer as GeekGirlCon Staff
- GeekGirlCon staff positions are all volunteer, non-paid positions.
- Attendance remotely (or in-person, during non-pandemic times) for staff and departmental meetings is required.
- Must maintain prompt and professional correspondence.
- Most work is conducted over email and with in-person meetings in the Seattle area.
- Between 5-10 hours per week of work is required for this role (including meetings, etc).
- The staff is a team of highly dedicated, geeky, and passionate volunteers; it’s a lot of hard work, but an amazing experience with lots of opportunity to help build GeekGirlCon for the future!