Marketing Designer [Volunteer Position]
Mission of GeekGirlCon
GeekGirlCon celebrates and honors the legacy of women contributing to science and technology; comics, arts, and literature; and game play and game design by connecting geeky women worldwide and creating community to foster continued growth of women in geek culture through events. GeekGirlCon values being a Welcoming Community, Empowerment, Diversity and Inclusion.
The Designer is responsible for the production of advertising collateral and graphic assets while maintaining the effectiveness of the GeekGirlCon branding strategy. Works directly with the Manager of Design and the Associate Design Manager. This position is part of the Marketing team and reports to the Design Manager.
- Produces high-quality print collateral and digital assets.
- Designs with an understanding of GeekGirlCon’s brand style and needs.
- Works with the copy team to incorporate text and information into collateral or assets.
- Working knowledge of composition, layout and principles of design
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite — specifically InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop
- Clean typography skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with a proven ability to interpret direction, critique, and strategy
- Ok with working remotely
- Self-motivated with ability to communicate interdepartmentally
- Exemplary multi-tasking and time management skills
- Able to work independently as well as part of a team
- Able to interact with a team, communicate, and present ideas
- Handle criticism and feedback professionally and appropriately
- 2-4 years in graphic design-related field required
- Formal training in graphic design
- Able to get around in the Google suite of product as well as Basecamp
- Awareness of current trends and activities in design and geek culture
- Working knowledge and experience working with our diverse communities, empowerment, diversity and inclusion
What It Means to Volunteer as GeekGirlCon Staff
- GeekGirlCon staff positions are all volunteer, non-paid positions.
- Attendance remotely (or in-person, during non-pandemic times) for staff and departmental meetings is required.
- Must maintain prompt and professional correspondence.
- Most work is conducted over email and with in-person meetings in the Seattle area.
- Between 5-10 hours per week of work is required for this role (including meetings, etc).
- Minimum commitment to this volunteer position is two convention cycles.
- The staff is a team of highly dedicated, geeky, and passionate volunteers; it’s a lot of hard work, but an amazing experience with lots of opportunity to help build GeekGirlCon for the future!