Public Relations Manager [Volunteer Position]
Mission of GeekGirlCon
GeekGirlCon celebrates and honors the legacy of women contributing to science and technology; comics, arts, and literature; and game play and game design by connecting geeky women worldwide and creating community to foster continued growth of women in geek culture through events. GeekGirlCon values being a Welcoming Community, Empowerment, Diversity and Inclusion.
GeekGirlCon seeks an upbeat and energetic person as Manager of Public Relations. You are someone who’s passionate about GeekGirlCon and wants to tell the world about it. You understand how to talk with media from national publications to small bloggers and podcasters. This is a great opportunity for someone looking to gain more experience in media relations and strategic communications.
Director of Marketing
- Is a public face of GeekGirlCon, representing the organization in media interviews and introducing GeekGirlCon at special events in front of audiences of varying sizes.
- Communicates GeekGirlCon’s brand and get others excited about GeekGirlCon.
- Maintains and grows existing media relationships and seeks out new ones.
- Creates and distributes pitches targeted to media, from major news outlets to small audiences, for coverage of GeekGirlCon.
- Coordinates with GeekGirlCon staff to identify experts and additional voices for media interviews, and provides training support to staff doing interviews.
- Manages press pass application process and makes decisions concerning press passes for annual convention.
- Working with Programming staff, coordinates and manages interviews with convention guests for members of the press.
- Hosts press and press special events at the annual convention.
- Updates annual press kit for the annual convention and the website.
- Tracks press coverage and updates websites.
- Coordinates and runs convention outreach opportunities in conjunction with the Manager or Community Outreach (tabling)
- Provides support to Marketing team to help foster a cohesive and clear message to the public
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to answer emails, phone calls, schedule interviews, etc., in a timely manner.
- An upbeat people-person.
- Previous experience in public relations a plus; needs to have a keen interest in building GeekGirlCon’s brand with the media.
- Must be comfortable speaking at staff and business meetings, to the public, and in front of a crowd as a representative of GeekGirlCon.
What It Means to Volunteer as GeekGirlCon Staff
- GeekGirlCon staff positions are all volunteer, non-paid positions.
- Attendance remotely (or in-person, during non-pandemic times) for staff and departmental meetings is required.
- Must maintain prompt and professional correspondence.
- Most work is conducted over email and with in-person meetings in the Seattle area.
- Between 10 hours per week of work is required for this role (including meetings, etc). Increases as the con approaches.
- The staff is a team of highly dedicated, geeky, and passionate volunteers; it’s a lot of hard work, but an amazing experience with lots of opportunity to help build GeekGirlCon for the future!