Special Events Manager [Volunteer Position]
Mission of GeekGirlCon
GeekGirlCon celebrates and honors the legacy of women contributing to science and technology; comics, arts, and literature; and game play and game design by connecting geeky women worldwide and creating community to foster continued growth of women in geek culture through events. GeekGirlCon values being a Welcoming Community, Empowerment, Diversity and Inclusion.
The Special Events Manager manages the coordination and execution of all Convention events, including, but not limited to, the Cosplay Contest, Kids’ Cosplay Celebration, and other possible convention events (past years have included a Kickoff Party, special music performances, and a Fashion Show). They coordinate with the rest of the Programming Department to ensure all Convention events are on track, within budget, and adhering to mission goals. They oversee the Special Events Team.
Director of Panel Programming and Special Events
- Manages the Special Events Team and hires for open Special Events Team positions
- Researches event venues (including site visits), negotiates terms, and ensures contracts/BEOs are signed and properly executed;
- Manages all event logistics including A/V needs, event set-up, volunteer coordination + training, event registration, etc.
- Identifies and secures event partners and performers, including negotiating and finalizing contracts
- Works with the Corporate Sponsorship Manager to secure event sponsorships
- Works with the Talent Manager to coordinate hospitality, transportation, and accommodation for event guests and performers
- Manages Special Events budget
- Maintains an annual Master Event Guide
- Coordinates with Marketing for event promotion and signage
- Tracks participation, ROI, and overall efficacy of event
- Engages with event attendees while still remaining in charge of the event
- Ensures that appropriate permits are secured for events
- Enthusiasm for the mission of GeekGirlCon and commitment to diversity and inclusivity in geek spaces
- Strong organizational and multitasking skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Able to manage and work with a team efficiently to meet deadlines
- Detail-oriented with a proven record of delivering high-quality events
- Ability to promptly respond to emails, given the time-sensitive nature of many tasks
- Competence with G-Suite tools, Basecamp, and Mailchimp
- Ability to attend all days of the convention (Friday set-up, Saturday and Sunday con days, usually in October or November)
- Prior event and management experience
What It Means to Volunteer as GeekGirlCon Staff
- GeekGirlCon staff positions are all volunteer, non-paid positions.
- Attendance remotely (or in-person, during non-pandemic times) for staff and departmental meetings is required.
- Must maintain prompt and professional correspondence.
- Most work is conducted over email and with in-person meetings in the Seattle area.
- Between 8-10 hours per week of work is required for this role (including meetings, etc). Time commitment may increase during peak planning periods.
- The staff is a team of highly dedicated, geeky, and passionate volunteers; it’s a lot of hard work, but an amazing experience with lots of opportunity to help build GeekGirlCon for the future!